Based on the current advice/information supplied by Julie Cash (Qualified Homeopath).
Homeopathy is a complementary medicine which aims to trigger the body’s natural system of healing. It takes a wider view of illness and the causes of disease, considering all aspects of someone’s health. It recognises that the symptoms are only the body’s way of letting us know that things are out of balance and each person expresses this imbalance differently. Therefore it is necessary to treat the individual and not the disease. Taking into account the individual’s unique response to illness, a remedy that matches the person’s symptoms on a physical, emotional and mental level is prescribed. The remedy given stimulates the person’s own natural healing ability, strengthens the immune system and encourages a long-term gentle return to health.
How does homeopathy work?
Homeopathy is based on the principle that you can treat ‘like with like’, that is, a substance which causes symptoms when taken in large doses, can be used in small amounts to treat those same symptoms. For example, drinking too much coffee can cause sleeplessness and agitation, so according to this principle, when made into a homeopathic medicine, it can be used to treat people with these same symptoms. Another example would be the use of the homeopathic remedy Apis Mel (honey bee sting) to treat the symptoms associated with insect bites and stings. However, one major difference with homeopathic medicines is that substances are used in minimum doses which make them non-toxic.
Is homeopathy safe to use during pregnancy?
Homeopathic remedies are natural and non-addictive and are safe for babies, adults and pregnant women. Remedies can be used to alleviate the symptoms of all the common physical and mental ailments associated with pregnancy, childbirth and after birth, such as morning sickness, heartburn, anxiety, exhaustion and the physical effects of labour. Homeopathic remedies can also be used to help with any breastfeeding difficulties. Some homeopathic remedies can be readily bought over the counter such as the commonly known Arnica, used for bruising. However, as homeopathy is based not only on the symptoms the person is experiencing but on how the person themselves experiences them, it is advisable to see a qualified homeopath.
Can anyone use homeopathy during pregnancy?
Homeopathic remedies can be used by anyone and can be readily bought from homeopathic pharmacies online and in some instances over the counter at pharmacies. Homeopathic childbirth kits can be purchased which typically contain 18 remedies commonly used during pregnancy, childbirth and afterbirth and contain a full set of instructions with directions for use. However, in order for the person’s symptoms to be treated effectively, it is important to get a full picture of the person’s overall health, both physical and mental and this is where a homeopath would come in. No two people are alike, so just because two people suffer from headaches, the homeopathic remedies provided for them may be completely different.
What are the benefits of homeopathy?
- It can be used by pregnant and nursing women.
- It can be used by children and infants.
- It does not interfere with other medications being taken.
- If an incorrect remedy is selected, it is completely safe and will not harm the person at all.
- Symptoms may occasionally get slightly worse for a short period of time but then improve. Other than that there are no side-effects of homeopathic remedies. This symptom aggravation is actually regarded by homeopaths as a sign that the correct homeopathic remedy has been selected and usually results in symptom improvements.
- It can be used for short or long term conditions.
- Medicines are chosen on a case by case basis to treat the person, not merely the symptoms. The symptoms, however, are addressed when using this approach and are typically improved.
- Homeopathy is an all round, holistic approach to healing: one that involves the body, mind, emotions, and spirit of the person being treated.
- Homeopathic remedies are readily available and can be used by anyone.
- Homeopathic remedies are typically inexpensive and therefore provide an affordable approach to healing.
- Homeopathic remedies can be stored for long periods of time.
- Homeopathic medicine is non-invasive.
- There are many studies proving the effectiveness of homeopathy, when used correctly.