Bolton NHS Foundation Trust prides itself on delivering high quality care and services at the Royal Bolton Hospital and community locations across Bolton.
The Trust has celebrated a number of successes and awards in recent years, including:
- Assistant Director of Nursing Martina Kingscott, was surprised with a Cavell Nurses Trust Award for her services to nursing – December 2020
- Bolton NHS Foundation Trust is joining celebrations for the recent Nursing Times Award win for the innovative text messaging service, ChatHealth, in the Nursing in Mental Health category.
- We have been shortlisted in the prestigious HSJ Awards 2020. The Trust has been shortlisted for Acute Sector Innovation of the Year, for the work done deploying AI (artificial intelligence) in diagnosing COVID-19 – November 2020
- Royal Bolton Hospital’s Admiral Nurse, Kerry Lyons, has picked up a prestigious national award in recognition for her leadership in supporting people with dementia and family carers in both hospital and community settings – November 2020
- Bolton Homeless Outreach Nursing Team Collaborations have been highly commended for a HSJ Award for Best Partnership Solution Improving Patient Safety – November 2020
- Royal Bolton Hospital’s radiology team has been awarded a coveted health technology award after winning the HTN ‘Health Tech To Shout About’ award for their pioneering use of Artificial Intelligence during the COVID-19 pandemic – October 202
- Quality in Care Diabetes Award – Bolton Foundation Trust were finalists for the Hypo Awareness Excellence Award following the success of the collaborative that took place earlier this year, which focused upon the reduction of inpatient Hypoglycaemic episodes. – October 2020
- Andrea Greenall received the British Empire Medal in recognition of her services to the NHS during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. – October 2020
- Bolton NHS Foundation Trust’s Admiral Nurse, Kerry Lyons, has received national acclaim after winning a prestigious Royal College of Nursing Award for her work with more than 500 dementia carer contacts in the hospital and wider Bolton community – October 2020
- Bolton Foundation Trust were finalists for the Hypo Awareness Excellence Award following the success of the collaborative that took place earlier this year, which focused upon the reduction of inpatient Hypoglycaemic episodes. Quality in Care Diabetes Awards – October 2020
- Bolton NHS Foundation Trust is celebrating three nominations in the Health Tech Newspaper Tech Awards for 2020 – September 2020
- Congratulations to our Admiral Nursing Service who have been shortlisted for two Nursing Times awards – August 2020
- We’re thrilled to have been shortlisted in the HPMA HR In Excellence Awards, in the category of ‘Most effective use of diversity’ – August 2020
- Two Bolton initiatives have made it through to the finals of this year’s HSJ Patient Safety Awards, recognising their outstanding contribution to healthcare – July 2020
- Our Admiral Nurse service has been named a finalist in the Commitment to Carers category of the RCNi Awards, which are hosted on behalf of the Royal College of Nursing – July 2020
- We are delighted to announce that the Bolton combined deflection scheme has been shortlisted for two HSJ Value Awards, recognising our dedication to making things better in the NHS – March 2020
- A wellbeing initiative called the ‘Caring for Yourself’ programme has been shortlisted in the ‘We look after our people’ award, HPMA – October 2019
- A partnership between HR, nursing and education has been shortlisted in the ‘We improve the service’ category, for their collaborative approach to improving nurse recruitment, HPMA Awards – October 2019
- Two Bolton researchers have made it to the final of the Greater Manchester Clinical Research Network Awards. Clinical research midwife Emma Tanton and consultant microbiologist Dr Chinari (Pradeep) Subudhi – October 2019
- The Trust has been awarded a Special Commendation in the Early Adopter Award category in the Imprivata Customer Awards for contributing to product roadmap initiatives.
- Bolton physiotherapist Clodagh McCague has been named as Best Practice Educator in an award from students at Manchester Metropolitan University – August 2019
- The University of Manchester appointed our Chair, Donna Hall, as an Honorary Professor of Politics – August 2019
- Neonatal Consultant, Dr Ula El-Kafrawy, was nominated for Best Educational Supervisor in the North West PAFTA awards – July 2019
- The iCare Project was shortlisted for the Commitment to Carers Award for the RCNi Awards – July 2019
- Dr Susan Greenhalgh, Consultant Physiotherapist, was shortlisted in two award categories for her work on Cauda Equina Syndrome, the Patient Safety Education and Training Award, and Best Partnership Solution Improving Patient Safety Award – July 2019
- Sarah Hewinson, Matron in Integrated Community Services Division, has recently received the title of Queen’s Nurse from the Queen’s Nursing Institute. – June 2019
- The Trust’s pain team was shortlisted for a prestigious Nursing Times Award. The team have developed and delivered a pain education programme for our health care assistants, and have been shortlisted for Team of the Year – June 2019
- Ingleside Birth and Community Centre was the winner of the Northern Midwifery Forum Festival Innovation Award – June 2019
- Melissa Connelly was the winner of the Northern Midwifery Forum Student & Newly Qualified Midwife Award – June 2019
- Highly Commended in the Northern Midwifery Forum Festival Team Award category was Ingleside Birth and Community Centre – June 2019
- Our Director of Nursing, Trish Armstrong-Child was named in the New Year’s Honours list for her services to nursing and received an MBE – May 2019
- Natalie Patterson has been awarded for Chief Midwifery Officer’s Silver Award for Safeguarding – April 2019
- GM Champion Awards – Lucy Coke, Clerical Officer has been shortlisted for Apprentice of the Year for her work in the Trust’s Medical Education Team – April 2019
- GM Champion Awards – The Homeless & Vulnerable Adults Team (with colleagues from Bolton at Home) has been shortlisted for the Collaboration Award, for their tireless work across Bolton ensuring access to healthcare for some of the town’s most vulnerable residents – April 2019
- GM Champion Awards – Saving Babies Lives Champions, a team made up of midwifery and obstetric staff from across Greater Manchester, working to reduce stillbirth, has been shortlisted for the Leader Across Boundaries Award – April 2019
- The Trust’s LGBT+ rainbow badge campaign has secured a nomination in the Bolton Pride Diversity Awards – April 2019
- The I-Care project is in for finalists for Commitment to Carers Award for the RCNI Nurse awards – April 2019
- Victoria Fletcher-Simm has been shortlisted as Mentor of the Year for the Student Nursing Times Awards – March 2019
- Angelika Dereszkiewicz and Kimberly Kelly have been shortlisted as Nursing Associate Trainee of the Year for the Student Nursing Times Awards – March 2019
- Ian Chapman, Leadership & Talent Development Practitioner has been nominated for National Awards for Non-Medical NHS Staff & Volunteers – January 2019
- D4 ward shortlisted for Student Nursing Times Award, for work on Synergy project.
- Our Chief Executive, Dr Jackie Bene, was awarded an OBE in the Queen’s New Year Honours List – January 2018.
- Karen Whitehead, Student Nurse has been shortlisted as a finalist for the Andrew Parker Student Nurse Award. – June 2018
- Our Chief Informatics Officer Phillipa Winter is one of three CIOs shortlisted in the Digital Health Awards. – July 2018
- Bolton Acute Pain Team has been shortlisted in the ‘Team of the Year category’ in the Nursing Times Awards. – August 2018
- The Trust’s secretariat team of PAs have been shortlisted in the PA Team of the Year category in the North West PA of the Year Awards. – October 2018
- Eveline Mujungwa has been awarded for her ‘Outstanding Contribution to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Health and Social Care’ by the Royal College of Nursing. – October 2018
- Denise Leck from Theatre Recovery has been awarded Pain Link Nurse of the Year 2018 – November 2018.
- Midwife Martine Bayliss has been shortlisted for a Royal College of Midwives Award.
- Six members of staff/teams have been shortlisted in the Unsung Hero Awards.
- The STOPPIT-2 trial team won Research Team of the Year at the Greater Manchester Clinical Research Awards. – November 2017.
- Andrea Bennett, the Trust’s Deputy Finance Director has made the finals of the Healthcare Financial Management Association Awards, for Deputy Finance Director of the Year. – October 2017.
- Two of our Medical Photographers have received Bronze awards at the Institute of Medical Illustrators (IMI) annual conference. They hold a photographic competition each year and our photographer’s pieces were selected for an award. – October 2017
- Laura Prescott, Bereavement Nurse Specialist at the Trust, was invited to receive the Barclays Women of the Year Award on behalf of the Manchester Emergency and Medical Services. She was part of a team of nurses from Greater Manchester who supported families in the aftermath of the Manchester Arena bomb. – October 2017
- The Trust’s Dementia Specialist has made it to the finals of the National Dementia Care Awards for Best Dementia Lead. – October 2017
- Two tinnitus booklets which have been developed by one of our consultants have been commended at the British Medical Association’s Patient Information Awards. One won the Children’s Special Award and the other was commended. – September 2017.
- The Acute Pain Team have won Acute Pain Team of the Year at the National Acute Pain Symposium. – September 2017.
- Bethany Egerton, an apprentice in the Informatics department, has won Informatics Apprentice of the Year at the North West Skills Development Network Informatics Apprentice of the Year Awards. – September 2017.
- Chief Executive, Jackie Bene, has been shortlisted for the prestigious HSJ’s Chief Executive of the Year Award. – September 2017.
- Royal Bolton Hospital’s paediatric department was named best training hospital by representatives of Health Education England’s North West branch. The PAFTA (Paediatric Awards for Training Achievements) was awarded by trainee doctors who had worked on the department. – September 2017.
- The Trust was shortlisted for two Business Culture Awards, for the work done around values and culture. The Trust is one of only two NHS organisations to be shortlisted. – September 2017
- We have been shortlisted for two prestigious Nursing Times Awards. Our pain management nurses have been shortlisted in the ‘Surgical Nursing’ category for their work around prioritising pain management after caesarean sections. Our Homeless and Vulnerable adults team have been shortlisted for a HRH The Prince of Wales Award for Integrated Approaches to Care, for the help for single homeless project. The winners will be announced in September. – August 2017
- The Trust won a Lotus Award for its work building a values-based healthcare organisation, specifically; it’s work on embedding the values of VOICE (vision, openness, integrity, compassion and excellence) into the culture of the organisation. – June 2017
- The Trust achieved one of the best financial performances in the country for the year 2016/17, declaring an operating surplus of over £14million.
- The Trust was the best performing trust in Greater Manchester for national cancer performance targets in year 2016/17.
- Selected as one of the CHKS (part of Capita Healthcare) Top Hospitals for performance for the third year running – May 2017.
- Innovative and forward thinking Informatics team leading a number of projects to increase the digital maturity of the Trust, and visiting neighbouring trusts to share best practice and implementation advice. Named Digital Hospital of the Month in Digital Health Age (leading news outlet for the digital health sector) – April 2017.
- The Trust is one of the top trusts in the North West for doctor training according to Health Education England – April 2017.
- Principal Clinical Scientist, Sharran Grey, has won the national Healthcare Science Partnering Patients and Citizen Award in the NHS England Healthcare Science Awards for her work around accelerated blood transfusions in the home – March 2017.
- The breast screening team have been awarded the Society of Radiographers North West Team of the Year for the development of a mammogram e-network – October 2016.
- The Trust received a rating of Good by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) Aug 16.
- Received a number of national financial awards, including HfMA Finance Director of the Year for our former Director of Finance, Simon Worthington, HfMA Team of the Year and HfMA awards for future focused finance and innovation – 2015/16.
- Jackie Bene named as one of the HSJ’s top 50 Chief Executives – 2016.
- Several members of staff have received both internal and external accolades. Nurse Fiona Murphy, who has led innovative bereavement and donor work in Greater Manchester and shared it across the country, was awarded the MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours – June 2016.
- The Trust has won a Skills for Business Award for the Development of a Health & Social Care Extended Diploma Level 3 (the health cadets programme) – June 2016.
- Invested £16m on ongoing schemes to improve the Trust’s estate, including the expansion of A&E, replacing the coal fired steam boiler with modern gas fired heat and power unit and the expansion of the Endoscopy Unit.
- Bolton NHS FT is the only foundation trust to come out of financial turnaround without specialist intervention, and is referred to nationally as an example of good practice – Sept 15.
- Chief Executive, Jackie Bene named as one of the country’s 50 most inspirational women in health according to the Health Service Journal (HSJ) – 2014.