Our new hospital – our bid for phase one
We’re working on plans for our estate and want to build a new hospital within our existing grounds in Farnworth, Bolton, starting with phase one which include maternity, neonatal, gynaecology and breast services. We want to share our ambitions with you to give you the opportunity to tell us what you would want from a new hospital.
This page gives you some more information and details, and you can download Our new hospital – information leaflet.
Strategic outline case NOW APPROVED – we’re ready to go
Our strategic outline case was approved by our Board of Directors in June so that when the government opens up the window to bid we will be ready. We know we have a long way to go but like the Victorians before us, we won’t stop aspiring for more and we won’t stop putting our community at the heart of our plans.
We won’t stop planning for this until it happens. Phase one is the beginning of what will be our new hospital…for a better Bolton.
Why do we need a new hospital?
The Victorians did us proud. The workhouse and other hospital buildings they created in 1861 have stood the test of time and are still being used by some departments and wards. But Victorian needs are no longer ours: while we are still able to provide safe and effective care, this hospital isn’t fit to last another generation. We want a new hospital!
- Our population and their health needs in Bolton is growing, getting older and has more complex needs
- Health services need to be more integrated and delivered more according to patient need – closer to home or in a way that makes a visit more comfortable.
- The estate is in need of significant repair, modernisation and upgrade. This is costly and takes too much time and it’s simply not good enough to meet what our community needs in the future.
What’s in phase one?
We are currently working with iFM on an estates master plan for the whole site. It’s a large site and we have big plans for it but are breaking this down into phases. In phase one, we are making a bid for a brand new building on the current Royal Bolton Hospital site that will incorporate:
- breast services including screening
We are also scoping the inclusion of the following services within phase one:
- Paediatric wards and children’s ED;
- day case surgery unit;
- chemotherapy services.
What will it look like?
Creating the design of the phase one building forms part of the work we’re doing now to create the outline strategic case but it will be based on design principles that will help us achieve a successful bid. We’ve got some initial artist impressions but there’s lots more to do on this. We’re involving our doctors, nurses and health professionals in developing the design to make sure it best meets clinical needs. Our digital and estates specialists are involved to make sure the proposed design can deliver the best of current and future IT and improve our impact on the local environment.
What are the benefits of a new hospital?
Our new hospital will help deliver the best health and care
- It will bring our services together in a way that lets us develop and deliver even more exceptional care.
- Our hospital and community services will be able to work together more effectively with a greater emphasis on helping people support their own health and wellbeing
Our new hospital will support new ways of working
- Designed to embed the newest technologies in the fabric of the site to help develop future capabilities
- Maximise space to make it more efficient to run, meaning precious resources can be focused on patient care
Our new hospital will be cost-effective, modern and inclusive
- Will bring people together and connect organisations with communities in a beautiful sustainable environment
- Designed to be inclusive to all our community needs. A place where everyone is welcome and no one is excluded
Thanks for sharing your views
Thank you to everyone who shared their views on our new hospital bid during our sessions earlier this year. We were really pleased that so many people were interested in hearing about our plans and shaping them where possible, and we had some interesting feedback.
On the whole, the feedback was very positive and you were in support of our proposals to develop a phase one bid for HIP funding.
The key points raised, were to consider these things in the design and build:
- Improved spaces for patients and visitors to meet or spend time in such as catering and shopping.
- Improved car parking and better transport links.
- A clearer picture of plans for the rest of the site/other departments.
- Clean, airy and comfortable inside; green useable landscape outside. A focus on modern but with concern not to lose the character of the hospital
- Improved accessibility including signage, landscaping and facilities within the building.
- Sustainable development and ongoing site management – a strong appetite for this and lots of expressed ideas.
You can also continue to share your views and questions by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling a member of the team on 01204 390446.
We’ll keep you informed throughout the process, so that you know where our plans are up to and when there are opportunities to get involved and learn more.
There’s more information about our plan on this leaflet.