Who do we help?

As a parent or carer of a child or teenager, you may have serious concerns about their emotional wellbeing and behaviours.


You may have problems managing your children, or may feel that your own difficulties are affecting your children in some way.


Your child’s behaviour will change as they grow and develop.  Understanding this, but at the same time noticing when these behaviours become a concern, can be difficult, particularly as children can find it hard to speak to the people that are closest to them. This is often because they don’t want to worry or upset them.


Because of this, it might be that you find out that your child is having difficulties by noticing signs, rather than by your child talking to you. Examples of changes in behaviour might include:


outward behaviour, such as:CAMHS artwork

  • falling behind at school or college
  • refusal to go to school or college
  • bedwetting
  • having nightmares
  • poor concentration
  • eating difficulties
  • not mixing with friends.


being more:

  • aggressive
  • disruptive
  • challenging.


inward behaviour, such as:

  • being quieter
  • being uncommunicative
  • being anxious
  • being depressed
  • having fears and phobias.


If you start to feel concerned about your child’s behaviour and feel that their difficulties are getting in the way of their lives then start by talking to your child’s doctor, school nurse, or their social worker (if they have one).  They can help you to decide if your child might need extra help.  If they think CAMHS are the best people to help, then they will ask for us to see you and your child.