Raising Compliments, Concerns and Complaints

Compliments, Concerns and Complaints

We welcome any feedback about your experiences of our care, such feedback is important as it gives us the opportunity to review services and make changes where appropriate. This helps us to make sure we are offering appropriate services that are right for your needs.  We run regular young person and parent participation groups where you can share your experiences of the service and support us in making positive changes. We would like to know if you are unhappy with the service provided or if you think we have done something well. We are also interested if you have suggestions on how we could do something differently.

You may also want to leave your feedback on the NHS Choices website.

 Who can help me if I have issues or concerns?

Sometimes things don’t always go just as you would like them to, and there are several ways you can raise concerns. If your complaint is a clinical matter, ask to meet the clinician, nurse or doctor in charge of your care. If the issue is not resolved in this way you may want to contact our CAMHS Service Manager via our web address camhs@boltonft.nhs.ukHospital

In our experience an early meeting where you can discuss your concerns thoroughly often resolves issues speedily to everyone’s satisfaction.  Misunderstandings can easily happen and by bringing this to someone’s attention, they can just as easily be put right.

Some of the changes that we have made in response to complaints are:

  • Changes to the waiting area
  • Reductions in waiting times
  • Changes to our website
  • Changes to our staff induction pack


PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service)

It may be that you do not want to discuss your concerns with staff or their manager, or you may have tried this and you are still unhappy. If this is the case then please ask to speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).

The PALS team are here to help you.  They provide a confidential advice, support and information service for patients, relatives and carers.  The PALS team can help by:

  • Supporting you through what is often an anxious time as a patient, relative, friend or visitor.
  • Providing advice and information on NHS services
  • Actively listening and responding to concerns, suggestions or queries to help resolve them quickly.
  • Advising on the complaints process if you wish to make a complaint, and how to seek independent advice.
  • Record and log comments and concerns, so that we can identify any themes and use them to learn from.

The PALS Office is in the main entrance of the hospital. The office is open from Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 16:30- excluding bank and public holidays.

If for any reason you cannot immediately speak to a PALS officer, you may prefer to contact them by telephone on: 01204 390193. An answer service is available. You can also email PALS: PALS@boltonft.nhs.uk  or you can write to them at:

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
Bolton NHS Foundation Trust
Minerva Road


If you decide you want to make a complaint

You have the right to make a complaint about any aspect of care provided by the Trust.  If you are not satisfied with our attempts to resolve your concerns with ward, clinic or department managers, and decide to make a complaint, this should normally be no more than twelve months after the event you are complaining about.

You can contact one of our Patient Experience Coordinators or write directly to the Trust’s Chief Executive.

By putting your complaint in writing, it gives you the opportunity to consider the questions you wish to be addressed, along with their desired outcome, all of which are very helpful in assisting us to resolve complaints. Please provide a telephone number when submitting a complaint, as a member of our Patient Experience team will contact you to discuss how you would like your complaint to be handled.  We will also acknowledge your complaint within three working days.

PALS  can be contacted by telephone on 01204 390193

Or you can write directly to the Chief Executive:

Dr Jackie Bene
Chief Executive, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust
Trust Headquarters
Minerva Road


Independent Advocacy

Local Advocacy Agencies include:

311 Hanover House Hanover Street, Bolton BL1 4TG
Tel: 01204 527200

Action for Children

Trinity House, Breightmet St, Bolton BL2 1BR
Tel: 01204 362002

Anyone making a complaint can receive free independent advice and support from specialist advocacy services if they wish. The NHS Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICA) supports and represents individuals complaining about the NHS.  ICA can:

  • Give you advice about making a complaint
  • Support you in drafting letters
  • Represent you or attend meetings with you

They can be contacted by telephone on 0808 801 0390.

We would always try to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction. However, if you remain dissatisfied when we have concluded the handling of your complaint locally, it is open to you to contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO), dame Julie Mellor DBE, to ask that she investigates your complaint further.  She will not usually investigate unless you have complained to the trust and had a final response.  Their contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Tel: 0345 015 4033
Email: phso.enquiries @ombudsman.org.uk