Based on the current advice/information from Helen Carr (Complementary Therapy Midwife).
Affirmations are statements that you use to help instill a sense of positivity in your mind about a particular subject. You use these short phrases and sentences to help your mind hear a positive message that you wish it to remember.
You can write your own affirmations, to use whenever you like. Remember they should be in the present tense, as if what you wish to happen is already occurring.
If you choose to write your own affirmations, start with phrases like:
- I am…
- My mind is open to…
- My body is open to…
- My baby is…
- My labour is…
- Breastfeeding is…
- My body knows…
- I know…
Suggested affirmations during pregnancy
- I rest when I need to. I relax and take loving care of my body and my baby.
- I know how to take care of myself in pregnancy.
- I love my baby.
- My baby loves me.
- I will be a good mother.
- I am a strong woman.
- My pregnant body is beautiful.
- My baby senses the peace I feel.
- I am the most important person in my baby’s world. How I feel matters and I choose to feel safe.
- I am strong, happy and healthy, my baby is strong, happy and healthy.
- I am totally relaxed and at ease.
Suggested affirmations in preparation for birth
- When labour begins I will be calm, relaxed and looking forward to meeting my baby.
- I am surrounded by those who love and respect me.
- I am looking forward to my baby’s birth.
- I put all fear aside and welcome my baby with happiness and joy.
- My baby will find the perfect position for birth.
- I trust myself to know exactly what to do for myself and my baby.
- Birth is safe for me and my baby.
- I accept my labour and birth.
- I carry forward all the strength and power of all the women who have ever birthed.
- My job is to simply relax and allow my birth to happen when my baby and body are ready.
Suggested affirmations preparing for after birth
- I will make plenty of breast milk for my baby.
- My job is to simply relax, become strong and enjoy my baby.
- My baby feels my love.
- I will know how to respond to my baby.
- I ask for help when I need it and gratefully accept help when it is offered.
- I will make the right decisions for my baby.
- I will be kind to myself.
Once you have written your own affirmations, you can write/print them and place them somewhere you can see them regularly, e.g. put them on the fridge, place them next to your work desk, put them next to your bed. You can also choose to record your affirmations and play them daily e.g. before your relaxation download, or in the car.
NB Affirmations are safe to play whilst driving.
DO NOT play a relaxation download whilst driving.
Relaxation for a positive pregnancy audio resource:
If you require further information please contact: