Dietitians aim to enhance patients’ recovery from illness and surgery, and maximise general well-being. This is done through:
• Offering information and advice relating to nutrition and special diets to patients, healthcare staff, the catering department, the public and others.
• Individual patient assessment and advice relating to nutrition or special diets.
• Advising patients and healthcare professionals on appropriate means of nutrition support, from food fortification and supplements to enteral feeding (being fed through a tube) and total parenteral nutrition (where all nutrition is administered directly into a vein).
• Advising the catering department on menu design and dietary issues, to ensure that meals available accommodate patients’ nutritional, dietary, medical, cultural, religious needs and personal taste.
• Teaching sessions to student and qualified healthcare professionals of all grades, from basic nutrition awareness to specialist courses.