Volunteers play a vital role in supporting our staff to deliver the highest quality care and improving the experience of our patients and visitors. They sacrifice their time to help provide a warm and friendly environment and help our staff by assisting with services of a non-clinical nature which enhance patient care. There are a number of voluntary roles, from welcoming patients, families and visitors and helping them to find their way around the hospital, to helping on the wards to enhance our patient experience and support our staff in their roles. We would like to encourage people from a variety of backgrounds and levels of experience to join our team of volunteers.
Please be aware that volunteering is not work experience. Our volunteers do not carry out or shadow any clinical work, or gain any hands-on care experience.
Criteria for volunteering
Before submitting an application, all prospective applicants must meet the following criteria and agree to undertake checks deemed necessary prior to commencing any voluntary work:
• Applications for voluntary roles within the Trust will be accepted from any person aged 16 and above.
• All applicants must complete an Occupational Health check and provide the details of two referees.
• Depending on the type of role, applicants may be subject to a Standard or Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check.
• Once the necessary checks have been completed, all new volunteers must attend a local induction session before commencing any voluntary work.
• All volunteers are required to commit to volunteering on a weekly basis.
• All volunteers must complete annual mandatory training in the following areas: Information Governance, Health and Safety Risk Management, Infection Control, Fire Safety, Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults and Major Incidence.
Should you have any queries regarding the above criteria, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator on tel: 01204 390560.
Apply to be a volunteer
You will need to register your interest in volunteering with the Trust by completing our online application form. This lets us know a bit about you and your reasons for getting into volunteering, as well as your previous experience and specific skills.
Alternatively, if you would like to find out more about volunteering with us before you apply then please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on tel: 01204 390560.
Once we have received your application, if we think that there may be a role available for you we will invite you in for an informal conversation to discuss your suitability for the role. If you are offered the role then a number of pre-employment checks will be made including the collection of two references from the referees provided on your form, Occupational Health clearance and Disclosure and Barring Service Checks.
When we have received satisfactory references and completed the necessary checks, we will contact you to arrange a date for you to attend a local induction with our Volunteers Services Department.